Person    | Male  Born 9/1/1823  Died 11/6/1892

William Johnson Cory

Categories: Education, Poetry

Teacher, scholar and poet.
Born Devon as William Johnson. As assistant master at Eton College, 1845 - 1872, he composed the words for the Eton Boating Song.

In 1850 he published a collection of homoerotic Latin verse, "Ionica", inspired by particular boys and actually dedicated to one of them. 22 years later (!) he was sacked, suspected of improper behaviour with boys. That summer, on a trip with two of his pupils, one of them died of a fever in Germany. He changed his name to Cory, went to Madeira for his health, married a woman half his age and had a son. Returning from Madeira in 1882 the family moved to Hampstead where he died.

Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
William Johnson Cory

Commemorated ati

William Johnson Cory

William Johnson Cory, Ionicus, 1823 - 1892, teacher, scholar and poet. Lived ...

Read More

Other Subjects

International Students House

International Students House

ISH began life in 1917 as Student Movement House, a social centre opened at 32 Russell Square in memory of students who died in WW1. 1932 - 46 the warden of Student Movement House was Mary Trevelya...

Group, Community / Clubs, Education

1 memorial
Manresa House

Manresa House

Originally called Bessborough House, it was built by William Ponsonby in the 1760s. It was sold to the Society of Jesus (The Jesuits) in 1861 and renamed Manresa House after the town in Spain where...

Building, Education, Religion

1 memorial
Sutton Adult School

Sutton Adult School

Founded by Thomas Wall. It is now called the Thomas Wall Centre.

Place, Education

1 memorial
St Mary’s Girls' Club

St Mary’s Girls' Club

See Gospel Lighthouse Mission for all we have on this.

Building, Education, Property, Social Welfare

1 memorial
St Mary Rotherhithe Free School

St Mary Rotherhithe Free School

Charity school. Co-founded by Robert Bell and Peter Hill for the education of the sons of seafarers. It was originally located next to the church of St Mary the Virgin and moved across the road in ...

Place, Education, Philanthropy

3 memorials