A retirement village created with a bequest from William Whiteley. A charitable trust provides almshouses for people of limited financial means.
From the Arts and Crafts Movement in Surrey: "The site for the village was chosen in 1911, with Walter Cave as consulting architect. The layout of the village was by Frank Atkinson (architect of Selfridges), 'Garden Suburb' in concept, formal and symmetrical with a monument to Whiteley at the centre. Building took place principally between 1914 to 1921 providing houses by Sir Reginald Blomfield, Sir Mervyn McCartney, Frank Atkinson, Ernest Newton, Sir Aston Webb, Walter Cave and Sir Ernest George with the church of St Mark by Sir Walter Tapper. There are 262 cottages in almshouse style and each with its own garden, two churches, a village hall, shop, post office and library; the villagers enjoy a huge range of clubs and activities."