Group From 1719 To 1994
Originally established as a charitable society, over the years it has occupied various premises: Petty France (1720 – 24); Chappell Street, renamed Broadway (1724 – 35); Buckingham Gate (1735 - 1831); Broad Sanctuary, purpose-built (1831 - 1938); St John’s Gardens, east and west (1938 – 1993). In 1993 the hospital reopened as the Chelsea and Westminster Hospital on the old St Stephen's Hospital site in Fulham Road.
Note that in 1733 in a dispute regarding the new site the entire medical staff resigned and set up St George’s Hospital at Hyde Park Corner.
The hospital buildings on both sides of St John’s Gardens remain (the facades at least), those on the west were converted into luxury apartments, Westminster Green.
The picture shows the building in Broad Sanctuary. This was demolished in 1950 following a fire, the site now being occupied by the Queen Elizabeth II Conference Centre.
Lost Hospitals of London has been our prime source.