A station was first opened here as part of the West London Extension Joint Railway (WLER). In 1869 the Metropolitan District Railway (MDR) opened its own station (pictured, still in use and now Listed) adjacent to the existing WLER one which closed in 1940 and was subsequently demolished. With the creation of the London Passenger Transport Board (London Transport) in 1933, the MDR station served the Wimbledon branch of the District Line. A new station was opened in 1999 on the site of the old WLER one, as part of the new West London Line of London Overground.
Credit for this entry to: Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk