Building    From 1769 

Blackfriars Bridge

Categories: Transport

The first bridge on this site (shown in the picture) was designed by Robert Mylne and added a third crossing point to those already provided by London Bridge and Westminster Bridge. The plaque says 1760 but it took so long to build that it did not open until 1769, just at the end of Pitt the Elder's term as PM so it was named after him.

The location was chosen because there was available a wide route leading from the river up to what is now Ludgate Circus. This was the River Fleet with its disused wharves on both banks. It became the wide New Bridge Street. The equivalent road on the south bank crossed mainly open fields to the new St George's Circus.

Faulty workmanship meant the bridge needed replacing and this new bridge was opened by Queen Victoria on 1869. The bridge is dedicated to her, hence the statue on the north bank. Stone carvings of water birds by John Birnie Philip. Bridge designed by Joseph Cubitt, son of Sir William. Joseph also designed the sister rail bridge. The road bridge was widened 1907–10.

In Google Satellite view you can see, reading left to right: Cubitt's road bridge, Cubitt's 1864 railway bridge piers (the bridge itself was removed 1985), the 1886 bridge which has recently (2014) been converted to carry Blackfriars Station platforms. Note how the piers on all three bridges line up, presumably to ease passage for shipping.

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Blackfriars Bridge

Commemorated ati

Blackfriars Bridge - plaque

Corporation of London Blackfriars Bridge, standing on the site of the origina...

Read More

Blackfriars Bridge - underpass

{Each print is labelled. The one we have chosen for illustration is:} Her Ma...

Read More

Other Subjects

Greenwich Foot Tunnel

Greenwich Foot Tunnel

Pedestrian tunnel under the Thames designed by Sir Alexander Binnie, linking Greenwich town centre in the south with Island Gardens Park in the north. It is 1,215 feet (370.2 m) long and 50 feet (1...

Building, Engineering, Transport

3 memorials
Stanley Arthur Heaps

Stanley Arthur Heaps

Architect. He designed a number of stations on the London Underground system, including the stations on the Edgware extension of the Northern Line, as well as train depots and bus and trolleybus ga...

Person, Architecture, Transport

4 memorials
RMS Titanic Engineers

RMS Titanic Engineers

The team led by Chief Engineer Joseph Bell comprised 24 engineers, 6 electrical engineers, two boilermakers, a plumber and a clerk. When the ship foundered, they all (including those off-duty) stru...

Group, Tragedy, Transport

1 memorial
CGL Rail

CGL Rail

The City Greenwich Lewisham Rail Link PLC won the concession for the DLR extension to Lewisham.

Group, Transport

2 memorials
South Eastern Railway Company

South Eastern Railway Company

Originally formed as a line running from London to Dover. Branch lines were later added to other destinations in Kent. The company also operated a number of ships to the Continent. It was abolished...

Group, Transport

1 memorial