Building From 18/6/1817
The first bridge at this site was built by John Rennie and named following British victory at the Battle of Waterloo, 1815. The 1831 demolition of the old medieval London Bridge caused changes in the river flow which started to damage Waterloo Bridge. In 1924 a temporary Bailey bridge was built alongside to tide one over (good pun?) until the bridge could be rebuilt. See A London Inheritance fora a postcard showing this. This took place during WW2, and it is said that much of the labour was provided by women. The design, reinforced concrete clad in Portland stone, is by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott and that is the bridge we have today. Its construction was managed by Sir Peirson Frank.
Grey granite stones from the old Rennie bridge were presented to various Commonwealth countries but some remained here: some actually still part of the bridge, and elsewhere around London. The ones we've found, we've treated as memorials to the bridge.
Our picture shows the first bridge and comes from Dave Hill's excellent Stories of London, where there are other pictures of the bridge.
The 1940 film 'Waterloo Bridge' is centred on a meeting that takes place on the bridge during WW1. It was made during the period of the Bailey bridge but correctly shows (a studio version of) the old bridge. Hollywood got it right.
2018: Reading 'No Voice from the Hall' by John Harris we learn (p53-55) that c.1947 the author went fishing at the long canal at Richings Park where there was "a vast mountain of stones dumped in a nearby field from the demolition of John Rennie's Waterloo Bridge in 1934. They were like a giant's building-blocks, the piled masonry towering to make a stepped cubic composition more than fifty feet high. For us village boys it was our private Stonehenge, until the local bobby chased us away." Richings is now occupied by a golf course immediately to the north-west of the M25/M4 junction. This is very close to the 'Giant's Teeth' site which is to the south-east of that junction, and note the repeated use of the reference to a giant.
2019: the Historic England blog tells that the keystone from Rennie's bridge was recovered by engineers Rendel Palmer and Tritton and is now on show in the headquarters of the Institution of Civil Engineers at 1 Great George Street.
2019: Londonist investigated where Waterloo Bridge went and found pieces scattered not just in London but across Britain and the Commonwealth. The information in the rest of this page comes from that post and the comments it elicited.
On the north bank where the Embankment passes under the new bridge there are some granite walls and balusters which are thought to be left over from the old bridge. However, the balusters are of a different style to the one in Belsize Park. The provenance of that one is confirmed by its style being identical to those in a Londonist photo, showing the balusters being removed from the bridge and laid out ready for anyone to take away in exchange for £1 to the LCC.
Londonist has found two more locations around London where the stones were reused: in Bromley at St Mary Cray’s cemetery wall; in Wanstead for the plinth holding the bust of Churchill. Further afield, near Eastbourne the Alfriston Clergy House garden has a baluster supporting a sundial. And in Scotland, Aberdeen Town Hall received a baluster, appropriately since that’s where the granite came from in the first place.
Britain sent parts of the bridge to Commonwealth countries. New Zealand used its granite to create a memorial in Wellington to a dog ‘Paddy the Wanderer’, in the form of a drinking fountain with bowls for 4-legged thirsts. Also in Wellington, at Mount Victoria, the granite wall around a viewing platform is formed of stones from the bridge. Australia placed its stones in Canberra under the Commonwealth Avenue bridge. Rhodesia (as was) accepted two lamp standards. Nyasaland asked for two balusters for Limbe Town Council. Canada declined the offer. In 1945 a large quantity of stones were used to repair bridges in the Netherlands following the damage caused in WW2.
But the majority of the stones were stored and remained in Harmondsworth, where we found the Giant’s Teeth.
Londonist found an advert for a company, Morgan and Son, who were selling off the stones. We found a Rootschat giving a few addresses for this firm around West London, one being Granite Works, The Pitts, Bluffs Field, Harmondsworth, listed in phone books in the 1930s and 1941. The address does not seem to mean anything nowadays but we bet it’s the site of the Giant’s Teeth.