Building    From 1573 

Wandsworth Chapel

Categories: Religion

Wandsworth Chapel

From The Story of Congregationalism in Surrey we discover that the claim on the plaque that there was a church/chapel erected here in 1573 is more tradition than truth. The early Wandsworth Presbyterians certainly did meet at this time but probably in private houses. It is now thought that the first chapel at this site was erected by the French refugee Huguenots. When they ceased using it in the 18th century it was used for various purposes, only some religious. "Iwas used by John Wesley, who often preached in the old building, and who here baptised his first heathen convert, a negro brought over from the West Indies by a resident of Wandsworth, Francis Gilbert, brother of the Speaker in the House of Representatives at Antigua."

Rowland Hill (not the PO man) ran it for a time. The Evangelical Association purchased the lease, renovated the building and reopened it in 1809. 

By the 1850s Wandsworth’s population had outgrown the little chapel in this back street.  A new chapel was built on East Hill and opened in 1860. Thee are a few churches on East Hill and we haven't identified which one this is. The old building was used as a school and entertainment venue for the working classes but was soon found to be inconvenient.  So the old church was demolished, stones laid by Geard and Toms, and a large hall capable of holding 500 people was opened in 1883. This continued to be used for church functions until 1939.

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Wandsworth Chapel

Commemorated atInformation

Chapel - building

{On the plaque to the left:} Erected 1573, Enlarged 1685. {On the plaque to ...

Read More

Other Subjects

Westminster Monastery

Westminster Monastery

Monks were first brought to Westminster in about 960 AD by St Dunstan, then Bishop of London.   The Monastery spread out over the area now occupied by Westminster Abbey and Westminster School The e...

Building, Religion

1 memorial
Christchurch, Southwark

Christchurch, Southwark

John Marshall provided in his will for the building of a church. Christchurch was built in 1671 at what is now 27 Blackfriars Road. Built on marshy ground it had to be totally rebuilt in 1738-41 (s...

Building, Religion

1 memorial
St James Church Upper Edmonton

St James Church Upper Edmonton

De-consecrated and converted into flats, probably in the 1980s.

Building, Religion

1 memorial
James Stephen

James Stephen

Anti-slavery campaigner.  Born Dorset.  Trained in law and worked for a time in the Carribean where he saw the cruelty to slaves and became an abolitionist.  The death of his first wife deepened hi...

Person, Law, Politics & Administration, Race Issues, Religion, Caribbean Islands

1 memorial
William Tyndale

William Tyndale

First translator of the New Testament into English from Greek, burned as a martyr at Vilvorde in Belgium. The last words of William Tyndale were "Lord! Open the King of England's eyes". Within a y...

Person, Religion, Belgium

1 memorial