Trinity Church New York
Building From 1846
Also known as Trinity Wall Street, the current building is the third to occupy the site. In 1697 King William III granted the church a charter which gave it the same privileges as the church of St Mary le Bow in London. In 1914 it was presented with a stone cut from the crypt of the London church. When St Mary's was virtually destroyed in an air raid in 1941, a carving was salvaged from the debris and installed at the 'Cherub Gate' in 1964. The church provided refuge for people fleeing from the collapse of the first tower of the World Trade Center during the terrorist attacks of 11th September 2001.