Building From 1545 To 1671
In an area known as 'The Warren', the Tudor manor house 'Tower Place' along with thirty-one acres of land was bought by the crown for use as ordnance stores. The house was demolished (all but one tower) and replaced with a building (by Hawksmoor or Vanbrugh) for the board room for the officers of the ordnance. It also became a workshop and then the first home of the Royal Military Academy. Our picture shows the remaining tower and the workshop building. The tower was demolished in 1786.