St Olave Church, Tooley Street
Building From 1050 To 1928
Founded in the eleventh century in memory of St Olaf. The original building, shown in this 1647 drawing by Wenceslaus Hollar, survived until 1734 and was then rebuilt to the designs of Henry Flitcroft. It was damaged by fire in 1843 and rebuilt afterwards to the same design.
From Exploring Southwark we learn: The population of the area decreased so in 1926 the church was declared redundant and the nave demolished, leaving the tower, which was itself demolished in 1928. The capping turret of the tower was relocated to nearby Tanner Street Park where it is still sited, as a drinking fountain.
On the site of the church was built St Olaf House.