On the ground occupied by this building stood formerly the church of St Olave. This church was founded in the eleventh century in memory of St Olaf, or Olave, king of Norway who in the year 1014 helped King Ethelred defend the City of London against the Danes. The original building survived until 1734 and was then rebuilt to the designs of Henry Flitcroft. It was damaged by fire in 1843 and rebuilt afterwards to the same design. It was demolished in 1928. The proceeds of the sale of that portion of the site vested in the Bermondsey Borough Council have been applied to the establishment of a recreation ground in Tanner Street, SE1.
The "recreation ground in Tanner Street, SE1" is Tanner Street Park.
Site: St Olaf House (2 memorials)
SE1, Tooley Street, St Olaf House
This striking Art Deco building was designed by Harry Stuart Goodhart-Rendel, 1928-32 as HQ for the Hay's Wharf Company and built on the site of St Olave church. It is listed Grade II* and now, 2013, used by London Bridge Private Hospital.
The plaque is on the right corner of the building. The large mosaic drawing is at first floor level on the left corner - in our picture you can just see Olave's left leg.
A London Inheritance has photos of this building from the river.