St Nicholas Deptford
Building From 1714
A church has existed on the site since at least Saxon times. Work on the present building began in 1697 and was completed in 1714. It was virtually destroyed in an air-raid in World War II. The skulls and crossbones on the columns at the entrance are supposed to have inspired the pirates' Jolly Roger' flag. They are wreathed in laurels symbolising eternal life. Francis Drake and Captain Cook visited here before embarking on their voyages and Christopher Marlowe is buried in the churchyard.