Charles Alder Stubbs was born in Canonbury, Islington, London, the fifth of the eight children of the Reverend Stewart Dixon Stubbs (1839-1919) and Mary Elizabeth Stubbs née Alder (1825-1869). His birth was registered in the 1st quarter of 1863 in the Islington registration district which means he was born in either late 1862 or early 1863. On 27 March 1863 he was baptised in the district parish of St John, Islington, where the baptismal register confirms that his father was the curate of St John's, Holloway and that the family were residing at 15 Wycombe Terrace, Holloway.
His siblings were: Edward Stewart Stubbs (1857-1886), Mary Jane Stubbs (1859-1946), Fanny Esther Stubbs (1860-1934), Amy Katherine Stubbs (1862-1935), John Dixon Stubbs (1865-1936), Eliza Caroline Stubbs (1867-1945) and Gertrude Elizabeth Stubbs (1868-1959).
In the 1871 census both he and his elder brother, Edward Stewart Stubbs, were listed as scholars and were two of five boarders at the home of Charles Ford who was a private tutor at White Hart Road, Thetford, Norfolk, together with a female housekeeper/cook and a female domestic servant.
When the 1881 census was taken he was shown as an undergraduate at London University and together with his younger brother, John Dixon Stubbs, they were two of nine boarders at Brook House, Mill Street, Potton, Sandy, Bedfordshire. This was the new family home of his private tutor, Charles Ford, who had married and lived there with his wife, their son and daughter. The University of London's Student Records show that he matriculated in June 1879 and obtained his Bachelor of Arts in 1887.
He was described in the 1891 census as single man and as a clerk in holy orders, lodging at 49 Eardley Road, Streatham, the home of Alfred H. Wing, a builder's foreman, his wife & four children.
On 16 June 1892 he married Constance Theresa Agnes von der Meden (1861-1936) at Immanuel Church, Streatham High Road, Streatham, where the marriage register shows him as a clerk in holy orders at this church whilst his wife was residing at St Leonard's, Streatham. They were to have four daughters: Constance Olive Mary Stubbs (1894-1960), Violet Esther Stubbs (1895-1923), Doris Kathleen Stubbs (1897-1979) and Carol Patty Stubbs (1902-1976).
Their two eldest daughters were both baptised at Christ Church, Surbiton, Surrey, by his father, Stewart Dixon Stubbs, who was at the time the Vicar of St James, Pentonville, London. The baptisms took place on 13 June 1894 and 19 September 1895 and the baptismal registers show that the family were living at Almola, Berrylands Road, Surbiton, Surrey.
The 1901 census shows him as a Church of England clergyman living at Bay Lodge, Sandown, Isle of Wight, with his wife and three daughters: Constance, Violet and Doris, together with a cook, a nurse and a female domestic servant.
When he completed his 1911 census return he stated he was a Clerk in Holy Orders (Established Church) living in the 13 roomed Crockham Hill Vicarage, Crockham Hill, Edenbridge, Kent, with his wife and their four daughters, together with a sewing maid, a cook and parlour maid.
The University of London Students Record's War List shows him as an ambulance driver in the Royal Army Medical Corps but Army Medal Rolls and his Medal Card show that he was a driver with the British Red Cross Society, holding the rank of Chauffeur, and served in France from 3 August 1915 to 7 February 1916 for which he was awarded the 1914-1915 Star, the British War Medal 1914-1918 and the Victory Medal.
Telephone directories in 1927 list him at Holy Trinity Vicarage, Lennard Road, London, SE20, Tel: SYDenham 4958 and from 1932 in Kent directories at The Vicarage, Tel: Ide Hill 24.
Probate records confirm that he died, aged 70 years, on 7 September 1933 at The Vicarage, Ide Hill, Sundridge, Kent and that when probate was granted to his widow on 4 November 1933 his effects totalled £2,067-15s-1d.
Credit for this entry to: Andrew Behan.