St Marys Newington clock tower
Building From 1877 To 1971
An early church was demolished in 1720, leaving only the clock tower. The new building incorporated the original large clock tower at the western end. This church including the tower was demolished in 1876.
In 1877 an ex-churchwarden, R. S. Faulconer, funded a new clock tower, in distinctive gothic style. This became a local landmark but it fell into disrepair, was deemed a safety hazard and was demolished in 1971.
We thank London Details for the use of this image which they have found in the Illustrated London News, 6 April 1878.