Building   

St Marylebone Almshouses

Categories: Property, Social Welfare

Funded from Count Woronzow's will. Built in 1836 and then re-built on the same site in 1965. Occupy the west corner at the junction of St John’s Wood Terrace and Woronzow Road. Lots more info at Tales from St John's Wood. Our picture shows the boardroom in the original Gothic-style building.

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
St Marylebone Almshouses

Commemorated ati

Count Simon Woronzow

{Either side of the relief bust:} 1744 – 1832 This road was named after Count...

Read More

Other Subjects

Austin Friars

Austin Friars

Augustinian friary just north-east of Bank, probably founded 1260ish, covering about 5.5 acres, it included a church, various other buildings for the accommodation of the friars and visitors, veget...

Place, Property, Religion

4 memorials
Essex House - E3

Essex House - E3

In 1891 C. R. Ashbee moved the workshops of the Guild of Handicraft from 34 Commercial Street to Essex House, at 401 Mile End Road, an early eighteenth-century mansion. The guild prospered at Essex...

Building, Craft / Design, Property

1 memorial
Holloway Brothers

Holloway Brothers

A major construction firm with its own Wikipedia page. Henry Thomas Holloway and Henry Holloway based in Battersea. Later other brothers joined. Our picture shows a house they built in 6 days insid...

Group, Property

3 memorials
Red Lion House

Red Lion House

Spitalfields Life, our picture source, says: "Becoming the Red Lion Tavern after his {Culpeper's} death, the building was demolished in the eighteen-forties as part of road widening when Commercial...

Building, Property

1 memorial
Christ Church School, SW3

Christ Church School, SW3

Christ Church itself was built in 1839 and quickly established its Sunday School, initially only for boys and in rented premises in Flood Street. Then Lord Cadogan donated the land directly opposit...

Building, Children, Education, Property

4 memorials