mobile nav

Subject

St Joseph's Almshouses

Building  From 1847 

Categories: Property, Social Welfare

Roman Catholic almshouses, funded by Joseph and Mary Knight.  Designed by Pugin, building began in 1847. 24 cottages were planned but only 18 built, in two blocks of 9, at the north-east corner of the site. Occupied quickly though not officially opening until 1855.

1958 extensively renovated and a block added on the east side at right angles to the original.  Renovated again in 1985. Today there are ten cottages with a small garden which the residents maintain.

See other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
St Joseph's Almshouses

Information Commemorated at

St Joseph's Cottages - Cashman

St Joseph's Cottages, built by the generosity of Joseph and Mary Knight 1850,...

Read More

St Joseph's Cottages - Hume

After renovation in 1985 initiated by Canon John Longstaff and completed by C...

Read More