Set up when the entire medical staff of the Westminster Hospital resigned in a dispute concerning the new location for that hospital. St George's was established in Knightsbridge for the country air at what is now Hyde Park Corner, in a country house, Lanesborough House. c.1830 this was redeveloped into the building which is there today and is now known as the Lanesborough Hotel. The hospital moved out to new buildings (pictured) in Tooting in 1980 and is now one of the largest teaching hospitals in the UK.
Credit for this entry to: Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk