The house was bought by John Lewis in the late 1880s. Apparently, whilst looking for a new home for his young family, he hired a hansom cab and drove out in a different direction each day with his wife. After one trip he returned home to tell her that one house she really liked had been sold, but later confessed it had been bought by him. He renamed it Spedan Towers, and the family lived there until his sons grew up. He commuted to his shop in Oxford Street each day, initially in his carriage and then in a Rolls Royce. He lived there until his death in 1928. It was then probably empty for some time and was sold in 1936. During WWII it was requisitioned and housed interned German scientists. In 1951 it became a nurses hostel and training establishment, and was demolished in the early 1970s after being bought by Camden Council.
We are indebted to Judy Faraday, the Manager of Heritage Services at the John Lewis Partnership for the above information.
Credit for this entry to: Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk