mobile nav

Subject

Southwark Park

Place  From 19/6/1869 

Categories: Gardens / Agriculture

The Park was created mainly from market gardens. Alexander McKenzie, the landscape designer to the Metropolitan Board of Works, also designed Alexandra Palace Park and Finsbury Park. More information at  Historic England. The opening day is variously given as 19 or 9.

An information board at each of the main entrances to the park gives the following information:

Southwark Park is Grade II listed, covers 26 hectares and opened to the public on the 19th June 1869. Its design was based on an original map, produced by the Superintendent Architect, Mr Vulliamy, and Alexander Mckenzie. The original intention was for part of the park to be used as building plots, but the Vestry of Bermondsey opposed this.
In 1884 a bandstand which was acquired from the Great Exhibition {actually the International Exhibition of 1862} in South Kensington was placed in the Park.

By 1885 substantial changes to the layout had occurred including the addition of the lake. In 1908 the lake was enlarged and adapted for boating. The English Rose Garden replaced island bedding in 1934 and was commissioned by Dr Salter to create a peaceful retreat for people to relax. In 1942 it was renamed the Ada Salter Garden in memory of his wife. In 1872 the carriage drive was reduced in width when the building plans were eventually shelved. The original carriage drive leading from Jamaica Gate now divides the park.

See other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Southwark Park

Information Commemorated at

Bandstand - Southwark Park

Francis Fowke designed the buildings for the 1862 International Exhibition in...

Read More