The police station opened in what was then called Cottage Row. The name was changed to Gerald Road in 1885. After years of debate about its future, in 1993 the police moved to the newly completed Belgravia police station. From Living in London: "The Old Police Station was converted into a magnificent private house in 1993. Ronnie Biggs, the Great Train robber, spent one night here." There is some wonderful film of Gerald Road Police Station at British Pathe. It's difficult to believe what is there now is the same building as that shown in the film (which does not even have a front area), but it is clearly on the same site. In the film you can see some dates inscribed on the entrance to the station: AD 1894 and AD 1925. We guess that the building has been through a number of reincarnations and perhaps its current look is an attempt at recreating its original appearance. A Flickr photo from 1906 provides some information. If the film is anything to go by, the police had a lot of spare time on their hands back in 1957.
Credit for this entry to: Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk