Seven Dials original pillar
Building From 1820
The original column, erected 1693-4, was removed in 1773 and acquired by the architect James Paine who kept the pieces at his home in Addlestone. In 1820 Weybridge wanted to erect a memorial to the Duchess of York who had died there. The column was purchased by public subscription and re-erected on the Green in Weybridge. And since then Weybridge have refused to give us our pillar back! So in 1989 the Seven Dials Trust went ahead and erected a new one. The Seven Dials Trust gives more information.