Group    From 1810  To 1966

Samuel Jones and Company

Categories: Commerce

A stationery firm founded in 1810 by Edward Jones. A Museum of London photo shows one of their products, captioned: "Reel of 'Nulli Secundus' adhesive mending tape stored within a tin reel with a cutter. The registered design tin reel is painted red and bears the Camberwell beauty emblem of the 'butterfly brand' adopted by the manufacturer Samuel Jones and Company in 1912. Such tape was used for mending and binding torn bank notes, music and books. The 'Nulli Secundus' stationery range was produced by the firm from the 1920s. By this time Samuel Jones and Company was a key employer in the Peckham Grove area."

From Science Museum Group: "Samuel Jones and Company Papermaking firm founded in 1810 in Camberwell, London. The company was noted for its self-adhesive products and during the 1920s they held the contract to gum British postal stamps. The firm left Camberwell in 1982 and later became part of Wiggins Teape."

This photo shows their various buildings in Peckham with the large factory, opened 1920, sporting the large ceramic butterfly. When that building was demolished in 1982 the butterfly was rescued and reinstalled on the side wall of Camberwell Baths.

This 1893 map shows a 'Gum Paper Factory' about where Rosemary Court now is, on the block now defined by Blakes Road, Diamond Road, Southampton Way, Ferdinand Drive. This was obviously a precursor to the modernist factory in this photo.

c.1960 photo of the factory front. Photo of the factory being demolished in 1982.

Grace's Guide provides: "1868 Samuel Jones purchased 67 and 69 Peckham Grove for use as the centre for his stationery business Samuel Jones ran the company for a further six years before he relinquished control of the organisation to his son James. However the company continued under Samuel’s name and thrived from its Peckham base. 1874 Edward's grandson James Jones founded the partnership: Samuel Jones and Co, trading principally in gummed paper. ... 1912 The factory and firm adopted the Camberwell Beauty butterfly emblem. (Two specimens were first caught in England in 1748, in Coldharbour Lane). The firm adopted the logo to demonstrate the possibility of printing several different colours on one piece of paper. ... By the 1920s the factory at 67 had expanded into a complex of buildings that spanned Southampton Way and was one of the key employers in the area. 1924 The firm won a ten year contract to gum British postage stamps.... 1966 Samuel Jones and Co became part of the Wiggins Teape Group and, in turn, part of Princeton Packaging.  ... 1982 The firm left the Camberwell area, but the mosaic of the Camberwell Beauty remains to adorn the side of Lynn Boxing Club on Wells Way {the old Camberwell Baths}."

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Samuel Jones and Company

Commemorated ati

Samuel Jones and Company

This magnificent tiled butterfly is indeed a Camberwell Beauty. Moved here af...

Read More

Other Subjects

Henry Thornton

Henry Thornton

Anti-slavery campaigner. Born Clapham. Successful banker. Good friends with his (indirect) cousin, William Wilberforce, prior to their marriages they shared a house bought by Thornton, Battersea Ri...

Person, Commerce, Philanthropy, Politics & Administration, Race Issues, Religion

1 memorial
John Lewis Partnership

John Lewis Partnership

Retail group. Founded by John Spedan Lewis after his father John Lewis gave him control of the Peter Jones department store in Chelsea. All its employees (known as Partners) are co-owners. The comp...

Group, Commerce

3 memorials
W. D. Lambert

W. D. Lambert

Works director of the Brilliant Sign Company in 1938.

Person, Commerce, Politics & Administration

1 memorial
Watney Combe Reid

Watney Combe Reid

In 1837 James Watney (1800 - 84) became a partner in the Stag Brewery, Pimlico and the Watney family were the main partners there for much of the 19th century. In 1889 James Watney & Co., acqui...

Group, Commerce, Food & Drink

2 memorials
White Horse pub

White Horse pub

Pubwiki have a good page on this pub. A tavern has existed here since at least 1690. Known as the White Horse from at least 1745. Rebuilt c.1868-70 and again 1927-8. Closed and was demolished in 20...

Building, Commerce, Community / Clubs, Food & Drink

1 memorial