Place From 1690
Riding track, 1384 metres long. The name is possibly derived from 'route de roi' (the king's road) as it was established by King William III, forming part of his carriage drive from Whitehall to Kensington Palace. It was the first lamp-lit road in the kingdom. Designated as a public bridleway in the 1730s it was for a long time popular as a riding area for the general public, but is now mainly used by the Household Cavalry to exercise their horses, stabled nearby.