Person    | Male  Born 2/11/1840  Died 18/2/1893

Reverend George Augustus Mayo How

Categories: Religion

Reverend George Augustus Mayo How

Prebendary of St Paul's, Rural Dean of Stepney and Vicar of Bromley St Leonard for twenty years.

We learn from his obituary in the Guardian of 1 March 1893 that, apart from his first 6 months and his time as a student in Oxford and his first curacy there, he lived his whole live in Bromley.  In 1866 he was appointed to St Gabriel’s in Bromley, and then in 1872 he succeeded his father as vicar of the parish church where he remained a long time.

We have also seen his name as "Howe".

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Reverend George Augustus Mayo How

Commemorated ati

How memorial gateway

{On the front:} How Memorial Gateway {On the back:} Erected AD MDCCCXCIV {18...

Read More

Other Subjects

John Philpot

John Philpot

Protestant martyr burned at Smithfield.

Person, Execution, Religion

1 memorial
College of Minor Canons in St Paul’s Cathedral

College of Minor Canons in St Paul’s Cathedral

In existence before 1066.  Richard II formalised the structure.  At that time they were 12 in number but are now down to three, responsible for singing services and organising large and small scale...

Building, Music / songs, Politics & Administration, Religion

1 memorial
Holy Trinity Church Brook Green

Holy Trinity Church Brook Green

Designed by William Wardell, its foundation stone was laid by Cardinal Wiseman in 1851. The need for the church grew from the indigenous Catholic population being boosted by Irish immigration in th...

Building, Architecture, Religion

1 memorial
St Mary Bothaw

St Mary Bothaw

'Bothaw' derived from 'boathouse', which makes sense when you remember that before the Embankment was built the Thames used be be a lot closer.  In existence by 1279, it was destroyed in the Great ...

Building, Religion

1 memorial
St Barnabas' church, West Silvertown

St Barnabas' church, West Silvertown

This National Library of Scotland 1914 map shows the "Missn Ch" between Eastwood and Westwood Road, just north of the tennis courts on what is now Britannia Village Green. Opened in 1882 as a miss...

Building, Religion

1 memorial