Born 10, Harcourt Buildings, in the Inner Temple, to a barrister father with the same name. Congregational minister. 1846 elected as pastor at Claylands Chapel. 1870/1 Brown took most of his congregation to the newly built Brixton Independent Church where he stayed until his death.
Set up the 1875 Moffat Institute in what is now Aveline Street. This was named after the Scottish missionary Robert Moffat who returned from Africa, settled in Brixton and was associated with the Brixton church.
Lived at 5 The Paragon, in Streatham Hill, and died at Coombe House, Kingston Hill.