Order of St John of Jerusalem
Group From 1140
The Priory was the English headquarters of the Order of St John of Jerusalem which combined religion, crusading military might and the care of the sick. The members of the order were also known as the Knights Hospitaller or the Knights of Malta. In 1312 this order merged with / took over the Knights Templar. In 1877 set up the St John Ambulance Association.