Place From 1661 To 1855
Also called Bunhill Fields Burial Ground and so easy to confuse with the non-conformist Bunhill Fields Burial Ground which is on the other side of Bunhill Row.
From London Gardens Online: “Quaker Gardens is all that remains of the former burial ground of the Society of Friends, or Quakers, on a site once part of Bunhill Fields that the Society purchased in 1661. The land was subsequently extended and thousands of Friends were buried here ….. A school was built here in 1840 and in the corner of the garden is what remains of the Society’s Memorial Buildings, built in 1881. All but one wing of the building was demolished as a result of WWII bombing. The burial ground was closed in 1855 and in 1880 the Metropolitan Board of Works compulsorily purchased some of the land. It was eventually laid out as a recreation ground in 1965 within the GLC's Banner Street estate. “