Built by Culpin & Son in 1937-8. Described by Ewart Culpin as 'the first town hall in this country to be erected in the modern style.' Opened by George Lansbury. The listing text is detailed, and Municipal Dreams has photos of the interior. In 1965 the borough of Poplar merged with others to form Tower Hamlets and so Poplar Town Hall became redundant. 2013: it's a business centre. Also known as Bow House.
The council moved here from their previous home: Old Poplar Town Hall.