Place    From 1657 

Old Velho / First Jewish cemetery

Categories: Gardens / Agriculture

From London Gardens Online : "The Sephardi Velho (Old) Cemetery opened in 1657, the first Jewish cemetery to be established with Oliver Cromwell's approval. The land was formerly part of a garden and orchard. It was extended in 1670 and again in 1684 and eventually closed in 1737 after it was full, when a new cemetery opened nearby, the Sephardi Nuevo (New) Cemetery."

See the Gentle Author for an evocative description of a visit to the cemetery with lots of photos.

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Old Velho / First Jewish cemetery

Commemorated atInformation

Spanish and Portuguese Jews - 1

This building, erected in 1912, formerly housed the Beth Holim, or hospital, ...

Read More

Spanish and Portuguese Jews - 2

The Jewish calendar has a different start year (hence the "5425 - 1665") 3,76...

Read More

Other Subjects

David Bellamy

David Bellamy

Environmental campaigner and botanist.  Brought up in London.  Built up a media career as a protector of the environment.  Initially supported the campaign to raise awareness of man-made climate ch...

Person, Gardens / Agriculture, TV & Radio

1 memorial
Conservators of the River Thames / Thames Conservancy

Conservators of the River Thames / Thames Conservancy

Came into being as a result of the Thames Conservancy Act,1857. Completed the building of Teddington Lock. Lost some of its responsibilities in 1909 to the Port of London Authority and in 1974 the ...

Group, Engineering, Gardens / Agriculture, Transport

3 memorials
Nicholas Culpeper

Nicholas Culpeper

Physician, botanist, herbalist, astrologer and writer. Probably born at Ockley, Surrey. In about 1635 left Cambridge and came to London. This was prompted by the death of his intended. On her way t...

Person, Gardens / Agriculture, Science

1 memorial
Wimbledon Society / John Evelyn Society

Wimbledon Society / John Evelyn Society

Founded by Richardson Evans and others, to 'safeguard the amenities of the Wimbledon district and to promote an interest in local history and wildlife'. It was originally known as the John Evelyn C...

Group, Community / Clubs, Gardens / Agriculture, History

6 memorials
St Mary Magdalen, Bermondsey, churchyard garden

St Mary Magdalen, Bermondsey, churchyard garden

Churchyard closed for burials and given to the Vestry of Bermondsey on 17 May 1882, it was opened to the public on 28 February 1883.

Place, Gardens / Agriculture, Religion

1 memorial