mobile nav

Subject

Merchant Taylors' School

Building  From 1875  To 1933

Categories: Education

Founded in 1561 by Sir Thomas White and originally at St Lawrence Pountney, EC4. In 1875 moved to newly built premised at Charterhouse, mainly to enable expansion. But by 1929 it had been decided that London was too dirty and congested and the playing fields were too far away so the school moved to Sandy Lodge, Hertfordshire, selling the site to St Barts Hospital.

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Merchant Taylors' School

Information Commemorated at

45638

Charterhouse

The Great Cloister of The London Charterhouse, 1371 - 1538, once occupied thi...

Read More

45640

Merchant Taylors' School

Not a good choice of stone for a plaque.

Read More