Building    From 1921 

Medical College of St Bartholomew's Hospital

Categories: Education, Medicine

From AIM: "Medical students at St Bartholomew's Hospital are first recorded in 1662. The School and the Hospital were formally separated in 1921, when the School was incorporated with a new title, the Medical College of St Bartholomew's Hospital in the City of London. In 1933-1934 the Medical College purchased the site of the former Merchant Taylors' School in Charterhouse Square. This acquisition enabled it to re-house the pre-clinical departments, which were previously in cramped quarters on the west side of Giltspur Street. In the Second World War, however, the college suffered badly. Most of the buildings on the Charterhouse Square site were damaged or destroyed. The rebuilding of the Charterhouse Square site was not completed until 1963."

In 1995 the College was renamed: St Bartholomew's and The Royal London School of Medicine and Dentistry.

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Medical College of St Bartholomew's Hospital

Commemorated ati

Charterhouse

The Great Cloister of The London Charterhouse, 1371 - 1538, once occupied thi...

Read More

Other Subjects

Christ's Hospital

Christ's Hospital

Founded by Edward VI in the remains of Greyfriars Monastery for the education of poor children. The first pupils arrived in November 1552. In 1682 Sir Robert Clayton erected much of the building, d...

Group, Education, Social Welfare

8 memorials
One Tun Ragged School

One Tun Ragged School

The One Tun pub in Perkins Rents was in the infamous area known as the Devil's Acre. Ragged Theology describes how a London missionary reported this pub as being the venue for a 'school' where stre...

Group, Education

1 memorial
Bedford Institute / Quaker Social Action

Bedford Institute / Quaker Social Action

Established in the East End as the Bedford Institute Association to act on Education, Religious Effort, Moral Training, and Relief of the sick and destitute. Named for the Quaker silk merchant and ...

Group, Education, Religion, Social Welfare

1 memorial
John Lyon School

John Lyon School

Independent boys' school in Harrow. John Lyon (1514-92) was a significant landowner, who by 1564 had the largest land-rental income in Harrow. He  founded Harrow School, The John Lyon School, and ...

Place, Education

1 memorial
Putney School of Art

Putney School of Art

Founded by William Lancaster, Baron Pollock and Sir Arthur Jelf.  For the first 11 years this was based in rooms over the parish offices in Putney High Street.  Lancaster then funded the freehold s...

Group, Art, Education

1 memorial