Building    To 1994

Mappin and Webb, Poultry

Categories: Architecture, Commerce

12 - 13 Poultry. Built in 1870, designed by J. &  J. Belcher. Was demolished after a long campaign in 1994 to make way for the delights of Number 1, Poultry. The man responsible, Lord Palumbo, preserved a little bit of it, the "witch's hat", which he now has on display in Pennsylvania. the clock is now in the atrium of the replacement building.

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Mappin and Webb, Poultry

Commemorated atInformation

1 Poultry - Mappin & Webb clock

This clock is in the public atrium to the new building and is the nearest we ...

Read More

Mappin and Webb building at Kentuck Knob

Palumbo owned the Farnsworth House, near Chicago, 1972 - 2003. It was presuma...

Read More

Other Subjects

Clapham Odeon

Clapham Odeon

Cinema. Designed by George Coles. The use of neon lights on its exterior gave it a distinctive look at night. It closed in 1972, but permission to demolish it was refused. It reopened as 'The Liber...

Building, Architecture, Cinema

1 memorial
The Black Cap

The Black Cap

Public House. It was originally called the Mother Black Cap after a local legend concerning a witch, and had that name, according to licensing records, as early as 1751. In the mid 1960s it became ...

Building, Architecture, Food & Drink

1 memorial
Lettsom's house

Lettsom's house

Grove Hill, Camberwell.

Building, Architecture

1 memorial
R. Day

R. Day

Mason-sculptor of Camberwell. Active in 1825.

Person, Architecture, Craft / Design

1 memorial
Sir Herbert Baker and Scott

Sir Herbert Baker and Scott

Architects.  Later Vernon Helbing joined the firm. Sir Herbert Baker was one of the four principal architects of the Imperial War Graves Commission, See Blomfield for the others.

Group, Architecture

1 memorial