Group    From 1855  To 1933

London General Omnibus Company

Categories: Transport

Transport company. It was originally an Anglo-French enterprise, also known as the Compagnie Generale des Omnibus de Londres. It became the largest omnibus operator in London, buying out hundreds of independently owned buses. In 1912, it was bought by the Underground Group, which owned most of the London Underground, and eventually became, first, part of the new London Passenger Transport Board, and then Transport for London.

Credit for this entry to: Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk

This section lists the memorials created by the subject on this page:
London General Omnibus Company

Creations Information

Chalk Farm Bus garage - WW1 1920 plaque

This image (© TfL from the London Transport Museum collection) is captioned "...

Read More

Willesden bus garage WW1 memorial

"No greater honour..etc." is surely a quotation but we cannot source it.

Read More

Other Subjects

Midland Railway Company

Midland Railway Company

Railway company based in Derby.

Group, Transport

1 memorial
Bow Road Railway Station

Bow Road Railway Station

The authoritative-looking picture source website gives the date of opening as 4 April 1892 (contradicting the plaque) and the closing date as 1949 for passengers and 1962 finally.

Building, Architecture, Transport

1 memorial
Finnish Seamen's Mission

Finnish Seamen's Mission

We found a reference to the Mission at the Branch Street address in the Children's Newspaper, 10 June 1933, but apart from that the address given for the Finnish Seamen's Mission and church is alwa...

Group, Community / Clubs, Transport, Finland

1 memorial
Battersea Bridge

Battersea Bridge

In 1771 a ferry was replaced with a wooden toll bridge designed (badly, apparently) by Henry Holland - shown in our image. The replacement bridge was begun in 1887 and opened in 1890.

Building, Transport

1 memorial