Building From 1371 To 1538
Carthusian priory, founded by Sir Walter Manny and Bishop Michael Northburg of London. Inhabited by 25 monks. The priory was suppressed in 1538 (re: Dissolution of the Monesteries) and the land passed to the crown. It passed through a few hands until it was sold to Thomas Sutton who endowed Sutton's Hospital in Charterhouse to educate boys (otherwise known as Charterhouse School) and to care for elderly gentlemen. This later objective was met by the almshouse, now known as Sutton's Hospital in Charterhouse, which continues to occupy the land to the west. It was badly damaged in WW2 but restored and reopened in 1951.
2013: IanVisits and Londonist both visited and took photos.