mobile nav

Subject

Little Compton Street

Place  To 1896

Categories: Other

From British History: In 1896 the street was renamed to join the street to its west, Old Compton Street.  On Flickr we found a page reporting that Rimbaud and Verlaine in 1871 used to frequent a bar, the Hibernia, at 5 Little Compton Street.  The building shown on that page is now 5 Old Compton Street.

Note: New Compton Street used to extend to the west and join Little Compton Street.  This section of road may have disappeared in 1877 when Charing Cross Road was built over the (presumably narrower) Crown Street.

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Little Compton Street

Information Commemorated at

51624

Little Compton Street

The grill is above a brick-walled tunnel which carries a mass of cables. The...

Read More