In 1543, after the dissolution of the monasteries, the hermitage Chapel of St James in the Wall was granted to William Lambe. It was adjacent to his residence, beside London Wall in Monkwell Street, near Monkwell Square. Later called Lambe's Chapel, it was demolished and rebuilt c1825. It was demolished again in 1872 and its crypt of c1200 was taken by The Clothworkers' Company and placed beneath the tower of All Hallows Staining. One of the monumental brasses from Lambe's Chapel survives in St Olave's, Hart Street.