Building    To 1913

Lalla Rookh - house

Categories: Property

The house in which Moore wrote the poem Lalla Rookh was named for it, possibly by Moore himself. From British History Online: "Lalla Rookh {was a} two storeyed villa with wide verandah rented in 1817 by Thomas Moore ... the setting of Lalla Rookh was thought beautiful". Lalla Rookh cottage was still here in 1878 according to another page. Moore's youngest daughter, Anne Jane Barbara, died in the house.

Edith's Streets says: "... a ‘big house’ Lalla Rookh ... was occupied for six months in 1817 by the poet Thomas Moore" and that two streams met in the grounds. Muswell Hill Forebears tells us that the house "was previously (1730-1807) the abode of Abraham Newland (cashier of the Bank of England), whose signature on bank notes made his name widely known."

See Rookfield Garden Village for how the grounds were developed.

2023: We are grateful to Amanda Windsor who sent us our picture source link, where there are other photos of the house. Amanda wrote "my greatx4 grandparents lived in Lalla Rookh early 1800s".

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Lalla Rookh - house

Commemorated ati

Thomas Moore

These flats are on the site of 'Lalla Rookh' where in the year 1817 lived Tho...

Read More

Other Subjects

Cheyne House

Cheyne House

The house and garden can be seen on a number of old maps, such as 1865 OS. From British History online (written in 1913): "Cheyne House consists of two or three different blocks of buildings, none...

Building, Property

1 memorial
Worcester House - City

Worcester House - City

From Louis Zettersten: WORCESTER WHARF – Here stood in the 15th century Worcester House, belonging to the Earls of Worcester, but Stow records that the palace was "now divided into many tenements."...

Building, Liveries & Guilds, Property

1 memorial
Blackfriars gatehouse

Blackfriars gatehouse

This was initially part of Blackfriars Priory. From St Etheldreda: From about 1590 onwards the gatehouse become a building where Catholics secretly worshipped and it was repeatedly raided by gover...

Building, Property

1 memorial
Essex House - E3

Essex House - E3

In 1891 C. R. Ashbee moved the workshops of the Guild of Handicraft from 34 Commercial Street to Essex House, at 401 Mile End Road, an early eighteenth-century mansion. The guild prospered at Essex...

Building, Craft / Design, Property

1 memorial
East End Dwellings Company Ltd

East End Dwellings Company Ltd

Founded in the 1880s by Angela Burdett-Coutts.

Group, Property, Social Welfare

2 memorials