Person Male Born 10/7/1841 Died 8/11/1913
Belcher was born at 3 Montague Terrace (now 8 Brockham Street, SE1). His father, also John, was an architect and Jnr. was made a partner in 1845. The firm was known as J. & J. Belcher. Snr. retired in 1875. 1882-94. Beresford Pite was his partner. In 1905 John James Joass became his partner and took over the firm on his death in Camberwell.
London buildings include: Royal Insurance building (1865, lost); Mappin & Webb (1870,lost); Redholme (1885, a house for himself, on Champion Hill, Dulwich); Chartered Accountants Hall (1890); Electra House (1900); Whiteleys Department Store (1913). Wikipedia lists others. We wondered whether Redholme still exists so went looking. The Dulwich Society say it's the house behind the Fox Under the Hill pub, which is surprising since that's an architectural mess.
Chief architect for the 1908 Franco-British exhibition at White City.