Person    | Male  Born 27/8/1857  Died 7/6/1931

James Edmondson

Categories: Property

Builder. Born in Clerkenwell, the son of a carpenter, Isaac, from Cumberland. His first major development was the streets around Sotheby Road in Highbury and he went on to develop areas of Crouch End, Golders Green, Winchmore Hill and Muswell Hill. His developments typically had wide roads and shopping parades.

From Islington Tribune: "While building in Highbury, Edmondson lived in ‘North Holme’ at 12 Aberdeen Terrace (now 52 Aberdeen Road), one of the largest houses in the area, and ran his firm from 8 The Broadway, Highbury Park (now 86 Highbury Park). He worshiped at the Congregational Church in Highbury Quadrant and later became a benefactor of other non-conformist churches. He provided for the sporting and social requirements of the residents of the Sotheby Road area by establishing the Dudley Lawn Tennis Club behind Kelross Road."

From Islington plaques : "The business continued to flourish with James’ eldest son, Albert James, joining the company in the 1920s. Albert James successfully ran the business, and then became a Conservative MP for Banbury and eventually ennobled as a Baron Sandford in 1945. James Edmondson retired and moved to Bournemouth in 1923, and died there in 1931."

2016: Chris Baverstock kindly sent this terrific photo of his great-great-uncle James, taken at his home, Westberry in Bournemouth on 20 June 1911.

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
James Edmondson

Commemorated ati

James Edmondson

James Edmondson, 1857 - 1931, Highbury builder, developed the surrounding str...

Read More

Other Subjects

Rothschild Buildings

Rothschild Buildings

The full name was Charlotte De Rothschild Dwellings.  Demolished 1973-80 - all but the arch which stood on Thrawl Street and which you can see in this picture.  The picture source covers the histor...

Building, Property, Social Welfare

1 memorial
Clapton House

Clapton House

It stood to the north of Clapton Pond, probably on the site of the house of Thomas Wood, later Serjeant of the Pantry, who lived in Hackney in 1597 and was a vestryman in 1627. The building on the ...

Building, Property

1 memorial
Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors

Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors

The Surveyors Club was formed in 1792 but the modern group was formed in 1868 at a meeting in London's Westminster Palace Hotel. It received a royal charter on 26 August 1881. Its HQ has been at t...

Group, Property

1 memorial
Bell Moor house, Hampstead

Bell Moor house, Hampstead

On this site four cottages were built in 1810-20: Albion House, Bell-Moor, Hurst Lodge and Harrow Cottage. In 1820 Sir John Jackson, director of the East India Co., died in Bell-moor. In 1875-80 Th...

Building, Property

1 memorial