Building    To 1947

Sayes Court

Leased by John Evelyn from Charles II in 1663 and trashed by Peter the Great in 1698.  The picture source gives a full history of the house which was badly damaged in WW2 and demolished in 1947.  The Greenwich Phantom has a photo of a building which formed part of the house and the Garden History Society has a wooden model of the house and garden.

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Sayes Court

Commemorated ati

Peter the Great statue

Statue unveiled by Prince Michael of Kent, as Patron of the Peter the Great T...

Read More

Other Subjects

Sir John Sinclair

Sir John Sinclair

Founder and president of the first Board of Agriculture. Born Scotland into family of the Earls of Caithness. 1780 entered the House of Commons. Promoted a scientific and statistical approach to ag...

Person, Gardens / Agriculture, Politics & Administration, Science, Scotland

1 memorial
Manor of Hyde

Manor of Hyde

An area roughly equivalent to modern-day Hyde Park. It was owned by Westminster Abbey, and its woods afforded both fire-wood and shelter for the monks and for their game and water-fowl.

Place, Gardens / Agriculture

1 memorial
Francis Russell, 5th Duke of Bedford

Francis Russell, 5th Duke of Bedford

Interested in rural science and one of the chief patrons of the Bath and West Agricultural Society of which he was President at the time of his death. His youngest politician brother, William (176...

Person, Gardens / Agriculture

1 memorial