J. Lyons & Co. Cadby Hall
Building From 1873 To 1983
From our picture source: "In July 1894 Lyons bought two acres of land, occupied by a former piano showroom with its manufacturing buildings, known as Cadby Hall." That very informative site goes on to describe how Cadby Hall was originally built by the piano manufacturer, Charles Cadby, in 1873. When he died in 1884 the business moved elsewhere and the Cadby Hall site was used by a variety of businesses until Lyons moved in. They developed and extended the site until it occupied the whole of the block between Hammersmith Road and Blythe Road (in its current position). Plotting the history of the site is made difficult by the fact that Blythe Road has been moved. It used to run where Lyons Walk now is (see this map). "It it became one of the largest food factories in the country, eventually covering more than thirteen acres." After WW1, having reached the limits of this site Lyons bought land in Greenford, and by 1983 this Cadby Hall site was demolished and redeveloped.