mobile nav


Imperial Institute

Building  From 1893  To 1960

Categories: Education, Science

Established in 1887 to promote research that would benefit the British Empire. From 1893 it was housed in a building in Exhibition Road, designed by T. E. Collcutt. This was demolished in the 1950s/60s to make space for Imperial College. The Imperial Institute was renamed the Commonwealth Institute and moved into a building in Holland Park. The Library Time Machine has some marvellous pictures of the interior of both Institutes: the Imperial and the Commonwealth.

The 1959 film 'The Rough and the Smooth'/'Portrait of a Sinner' has a scene set at the entrance to this building, at about 52 mins. You see two of the lions and a highly ornate entrance area.

See other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Imperial Institute

Information Commemorated at

Imperial Institute lions

Of the four lions that used to flank the entrance to the Imperial Institute t...

Read More

Queen's Tower - IC

The stone was laid only 14 days into her 51st year so we're taking this as a ...

Read More