Building From 1893 To 1960
Established in 1887 to promote research that would benefit the British Empire. From 1893 it was housed in a building in Exhibition Road, designed by T. E. Collcutt. This was demolished in the 1950s/60s to make space for Imperial College. The Imperial Institute was renamed the Commonwealth Institute and moved into a building in Holland Park. The Library Time Machine has some marvellous pictures of the interior of both Institutes: the Imperial and the Commonwealth.