Henry J. C. Carden
Person Male Born 23/12/1911 Died 20/4/1941
Auxiliary Fireman Henry John Clifford Carden was born on 23 December 1911 and his birth was registered in Bromley, Kent. He was the fourth child of John Henry Clifford Carden (b.1876) and Emily Jane Carden née Scott (1880-1934) and the family lived at 4 Felmingham Road, Anerley, Beckenham, Kent. His elder siblings were: Edna Ruth E. Clifford (1904-1985), Sybil Florence M. Carden (b.1907) and Phyllis Celia Rose Carden (1910-1994). His father was a tramway car fitter employed by South Metropolitan Tramways.
As Harry J. C. Carden, he married Amy Amelia Howard (1913-2002) and the marriage was registered in the 3rd quarter of 1938 in the Bromley registration district. In the 1939 England and Wales Register he was listed as Henry J. C. Carden with his wife at 20 Glebe Way, West Wickham, Kent. His occupation was shown as an Ironmongery Salesman and that he was also attached to the Air Raids Precautions Ambulance Service, Beckenham. His wife's occupation was shown as a Confectionery Saleswoman.
He joined the Auxiliary Fire Service and was attached to the West Wickham fire station. He died, aged 29 years, on 20 April 1941 when a German parachute mine landed on Auxiliary Fire Service Sub Station 24U, that was housed in Old Palace LCC School, St. Leonards Street, Poplar. He was buried at Beckenham Cemetery and Crematorium, Elmers End Road, Beckenham, BR3 4TD.
Probate records confirm that his home address was at 7 Mounthurst Road, Hayes, Bromley, Kent and that his body was not found until 21 April 1941.He was buried in Beckenham Cemetery and Crematorium, Elmers End Road, Beckenham, BR3 4TD. His widow was granted administration of his estate on 30 June 1941 and his effects totalled £275-15s-0d.
His death was recorded as Harry John C Carden as were his probate records. He is also commemorated on the Firefighters Memorial and in their Book of Remembrance. His name is also recorded in the Civilian War Dead Roll of Honour that is held near the entrance to St George's Chapel, at the west end of Westminster Abbey.