Person    | Male  Born 1885  Died 16/11/1946

H. H. C. Richardson

Categories: Religion

H. H. C. Richardson

Fr. Harry Richardson was instituted n 1925 as vicar of St Benet and All Saints and it fell to him to resolve the long-standing problem of the structurally unsound nave. The decision was to demolish and rebuild it with deeper foundations. This new nave was consecrated in November 1928.

We are grateful to Andrew Behan who has researched Richardson and provides the following:

Reverend Harry Herbert Coleman Richardson was born in Stoke Newington, the son of Harry Coleman Richardson and Harriet Richardson, née Alcock. His father was a Chartered Accountant.

The 1891 census shows the family were living at 49 Norcott Road, Stoke Newington. His mother died in 1899 and the 1901 census shows him living with his widowed father at 84 Cazenove Road, Stoke Newington.

The 1911 census shows that his father had remarried to Eliza Alice Richardson and the family were living at 'Deep Dene', Torrington Park, North Finchley and the 26 year old Harry H.C. Richardson's occupation was shown as Undergraduate (Oxford).

Although the 1912 electoral register shows him still at 'Deep Dene', Torrington Park, the 1922-1925 electoral registers show him living at 3-4 Red Lion Square, Holborn.

In 1925 he was appointed to St Benet and All Saints Church in Lupton Street, Kentish Town, and he lived at The Vicarage, which used to be immediately east of the church, on the corner of Lady Margaret Road, the site now occupied by Lambourn Close. Here he remained for the rest of his life. This did not prevent him from travelling as records show that he arrived back in London on 18 March 1931 having travelled as a 1st Class passenger on the Blue Star Line's ship the 'Almeda Star' from Buenos Aires, Argentina.

He died leaving £6,426 in his estate and was buried on 23 November 1946 in Grave 8S07, Section K07 in Abney Park Cemetery.

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
H. H. C. Richardson

Commemorated ati

St Benet and All Saints - building

AMDG stands for “Ad maiorem Dei gloriam”, the Latin motto of the Catholic Jes...

Read More

Other Subjects

St Benet Sherehog Church

St Benet Sherehog Church

The ruins of this church can, apparently, be seen in the basement ruins of Number One Poultry.

Building, Religion

2 memorials
Bishop Henry Compton

Bishop Henry Compton

Bishop of London from 1675 to 1713. Born Warwickshire. After a period in Charles II's army he chose the church and within 5 years was made a bishop and a member of the Privy Council. His strong op...

Person, Gardens / Agriculture, Religion

1 memorial
St Dunstan in the East

St Dunstan in the East

A church was first built on the site in Saxon times. It was restored by St Dunstan in 950 AD. Badly damaged by the Great Fire, it was patched up and then a steeple by Wren was added in 1701. In 181...

Building, Religion

2 memorials
John Davy

John Davy

Monk at London Charterhouse. Taken to Newgate Prison, chained and left to starve to death.

Person, Execution, Religion

1 memorial
Sebastian Newdigate

Sebastian Newdigate

Monk at London Charterhouse.  Newdigate was a personal friend of Henry VIII. The king visited him twice in prison but Newdigate refused to change his views. Executed at Tyburn.

Person, Execution, Religion

1 memorial