Group From 1845 To 20/3/1914
Grocer and Liberal politician. Full name Frederick Charlwood Frye. Started a chain of shops in 1870 and by 1894 was running 50 stores across England and Ireland. Was a member of the Metropolitan Board of Works and then in 1889 was elected a member of the new LCC representing North Kensington. 1892 - 1895 Liberal MP for Kensington North. Retired to Worthing where he died.
Referring to 31-37 Islington High Street, British History On-line has: “All this was replaced in 1881–3 by Leverett & Frye Ltd, Irish grocers and 'italian warehousemen', who had a shop at No. 31. The speculation provided shops with artisans' dwellings above and behind. The architect, for F. C. Frye, was Arthur Vernon, and William Woodbridge of Maidenhead was the builder. The tall triple-gabled front range lifted the scale of this section of the High Street. Between the polished granite and plate-glass windows of the shopfronts a central archway led through to a remade courtyard, Frye's Buildings, giving access to twelve tworoom tenements. The back buildings were cleared in the 1940s and the front block was rebuilt in 1986–7 by Greater London Properties (Islington) Ltd as offices over shops, with the 1880s façade rebuilt in facsimile. The building is now known as Lancaster House.”
His wife unveiled the Avondale plaque with him. His daughter, Kate Parry Frye (1878–1959) was an actress and active supporter of the campaign for votes for women, and has a book written about her: The Great War: The People's Story - Kate Parry Frye: The Long Life of an Edwardian Actress and Suffragette.