Endell Street Military Hospital
Building From /5/1915 To /12/1919
Established in the disused St Giles workhouse buildings during WW1 under the command of Dr Flora Murray & Dr Louisa Garrett Anderson (both suffragettes), this 573-bed hospital is the only British army hospital to have been staffed entirely by women, 180 of them. More than 24,000 soldiers were treated here. More information and pictures at Lapsed History.
Murray and Garrett Anderson had both run hospitals in France but the Royal Army Medical Corps still refused to sanction this hospital.