Building    From 26/7/1871  To 2013

Ebenezer Church

Categories: Property, Religion

From Exploring Southwark: "The Norwegian Mission Society opened a mission in Rotherhithe in 1868, originally in a temporary church until a permanent building, called the Ebenezer Church, was opened in July 1871. The site had been donated by the Surrey Commercial Dockyard Company and located in Bickley Row which became a part of Rotherhithe Street. It was on the eastern side of the peninsular {sic}, north of Greenland Dock and close to Norway Yard and Norway Dock." The site is now occupied by Oscar Court, on a bend in Rotherhithe Street, opposite Odessa Street.

From Faith, Fatherland and the Norwegian Seaman: The Work of the Norwegian Seamen ... By Virginia Hoel and from Know your London: The church opened on 1 May 1872 and initially ministered to both Swedish and Norwegian sailors. In 1905 the union between the two countries came to an end and a separate Swedish Seamen’s Mission was founded.  Ebenezer church remained in use as a church until the 1920s when St Olavs was built. The old church building was then used as a Dockland Settlement Community Centre until it was demolished about 2013. The foundation stone of St Ebenezer was re-erected on the new church.

The church name, Ebenezer, can mean Stone of Help, as in the Biblical passage referenced (1 Samuel 7.12) "Then Samuel took a stone, and set it between Mizpeh and Shen, and called the name of it Ebenezer, saying, Hitherto hath the Lord helped us."

Archaeology Data Service has more photos and plans of the building.

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Ebenezer Church

Commemorated ati

Ebenezer Church - Prince Oscar

This is the foundation stone from the Norwegian church that preceded St Olavs...

Read More

Other Subjects

St Marylebone Almshouses

St Marylebone Almshouses

Funded from Count Woronzow's will.  Built in 1836 and then re-built on the same site in 1965.  Occupy the west corner at the junction of St John’s Wood Terrace and Woronzow Road.  Lots more info at...

Building, Property, Social Welfare

1 memorial
52 Tavistock Square

52 Tavistock Square

Lived in by Leonard and Virginia Woolf 1924-39. Our picture source also has some photos of the interior, and explains that, even though they have moved out, the destruction of this house affected V...

Building, Property

2 memorials
Biggott House / Bigod House

Biggott House / Bigod House

Queen's-Haven have a post about this house, where it was and what occupied the site after it was gone, and gives "Norfolk House ... lies to the south of the foundations of Bigod House, sometimes ca...

Building, Property

1 memorial
1 Devonshire Terrace

1 Devonshire Terrace

Charles Dickens lived here with his family, 1839-51. They had moved here from 48 Doughty Street. The ninth child Dora, was born here and died here in 1851 aged just 8 months. Her mother Catherine w...

Building, Property

1 memorial
Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors

Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors

The Surveyors Club was formed in 1792 but the modern group was formed in 1868 at a meeting in London's Westminster Palace Hotel. It received a royal charter on 26 August 1881. Its HQ has been at t...

Group, Property

1 memorial