Building   

Dublin Castle

Categories: Food & Drink

Public House. One of four in the Camden area with 'castle' in its name. The story (which we repeat for the sake of tradition, not because we believe it) goes that towards the end of the nineteenth century, labourers from all over Britain came to London to work on the construction of the railways in this area. Inevitably drunken fights broke out in the pubs amongst the different nationalities. To try and ease the situation, separate pubs were opened to cater for each country - The Edinburgh (now spelt Edinboro, Morington Terrace), The Pembroke (Gloucester Ave), The Windsor (32 Parkway, which has changed use a number of times) and the Dublin Castles.

The Dublin Castle gave Madness a year-long weekly residency in 1979 and also presented Amy Winehouse and Blur early in their careers.

Credit for this entry to: Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Dublin Castle

Commemorated ati

Madness

Unveiled by Madness, including Suggs, that Londonphile.

Read More

Other Subjects

Devil Tavern

Devil Tavern

2, Fleet Street. Demolished 1787. Full title was the Devil and St Dunstan, the sign being the Devil's nose being tweaked by pincers wielded by the saint. It appears in a Hogarth illustration. T...

Building, Commerce, Community / Clubs, Food & Drink

1 memorial
Frederick Nicholas Charrington

Frederick Nicholas Charrington

Renounced a brewing fortune to help the East End poor.  Born Bow Road, the heir to Charrington’s Brewery in Stepney.  He entered the business but, aged 19, experienced a religious conversion and be...

Person, Food & Drink, Jack the Ripper suspects, Philanthropy, Politics & Administration, Social Welfare

2 memorials
Kops Brewery

Kops Brewery

The first brewer of non-alcoholic beer in the United Kingdom. This photograph was taken in 1900. From the 1900 "Fulham old and new": "Between Town Mead Road and the river, a little eastwards of Wa...

Building, Commerce, Food & Drink

1 memorial
The Black Cap

The Black Cap

Public House. It was originally called the Mother Black Cap after a local legend concerning a witch, and had that name, according to licensing records, as early as 1751. In the mid 1960s it became ...

Building, Architecture, Food & Drink

1 memorial
J. Lyons & Co. Cadby Hall

J. Lyons & Co. Cadby Hall

From our picture source: "In July 1894 Lyons bought two acres of land, occupied by a former piano showroom with its manufacturing buildings, known as Cadby Hall." That very informative site goes on...

Building, Commerce, Food & Drink

1 memorial