Building    From 18/12/1928  To 23/5/1959

Davis Theatre

Categories: Cinema

Built by Grace and Marsh and operated by Israel Davis and his family. The largest cinema built in England at that time, equipped with the largest Compton organ ever built, it opened with the British premiere of Josef von Sternberg's 1928 film The Last Command. Demolished as part of a road-widening scheme.

Cinema Treasures has more information and an aerial photo.

Credit for this entry to: Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Davis Theatre

Commemorated ati

Davis Theatre

Google Street View shows this plaque in situ 2008 - 2014 but lost by June 201...

Read More

Other Subjects

Peter Greenaway

Peter Greenaway

Film director and screenwriter. Born in Newport, Monmouthshire. He trained as a muralist before turning to films. His best known works include 'The Draughtsman's Contract' and 'The Cook, the Thief,...

Person, Cinema, Wales

1 memorial
The Wicked Lady

The Wicked Lady

Director: Leslie Arliss. Filmed at Gainsborough Film Studios.

Media, Cinema

1 memorial
Boris Karloff

Boris Karloff

Actor. Born as William Henry Pratt at the house with the plaque. His acting career began in the theatre in Canada, where he adopted his stage name. Arriving in Hollywood he appeared in dozens of si...

Person, Cinema, Seriously Famous, Theatre, TV & Radio, Canada, USA

1 memorial
Montagu Pyke

Montagu Pyke

In 1908 Pyke converted two shops at 164-166 Edgware Road into a cinema. This was a success and he created more, naming each one the Cinematograph Theatre. By 1910 he had 5 cinemas, each an independ...

Person, Cinema

1 memorial
Chewbacca

Chewbacca

A character in the Star Wars series. He is a Wookiee from the planet Kashyyyk, and is the loyal friend and first mate of Han Solo. He was portrayed in the films by the 7' 3" tall actor Peter Mayhew.

Person, Cinema, Fictional

1 memorial